A student shall be permitted a total of six (6) excused absences per year upon presenting a parental note to the attendance office within three (3) days of the absence for the following reasons:
1. Death or severe illness in the pupil's immediate family. The number of days excused for a death will be determined by the circumstances involved and will be kept to the minimum necessary.
2, Illness of the pupil that does not require a doctor visit.
3, Religious holidays and practices.
4. Court appearance when the student's presence is required by subpoena or citation.
5. Driver's permit/license test, which will be excused for a portion of the day.
6. Cultural and educational activities as approved in advance by the Principal, including those qualifying as educational enhancement opportunities*.
7. One (1) day for attendance at the Kentucky State Fair.
A student may also be excused by presenting a signed note from a doctor, dentist or hospital within three (3) days of the absence.
*ENHANCED EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY (at a glance)
1. Parents must submit required paperwork at least (5) days prior to expected absences. Paperwork can be obtained from school office personnel.
2. Absences must be of significant educational value to be approved.
Any request that is denied by the Principal may be appealed to the Superintendent, then the Board of Education, under its grievance policy and procedure.