English Learner (EL) Program
Welcome to Scott County School's EL website. EL was formerly known as English as a Second Language (ESL) or English Language Learners (ELL). Our EL program is offered to students who are not yet proficient in English as determined by an English language screener. We proudly serve almost 400 English Learners (ELs) that come from many cultures and countries with a variety of languages and dialects.
EL students have many challenges. They are learning academic content in a language that is not their own while simultaneously learning English. Scott County School's EL program is grounded in supporting and encouraging ELs' native language proficiency to the maximium extent possible while providing rigorous content instruction and support. Like all students in SCS, academic expectations are held high for ELs. At the same time, support in all school environments is also provided.
In SCS, all cultures and languages are welcomed and valued. SCS administrators, teachers and staff understand that EL students bring important assets into the learning environment. Teachers rely on these assets as funds of knowledge that help make connections to the EL student's prior experiences. We believe in parent collaboration and engagement, critical consciousness, authentic learning opportunities, and evidence based strategies are most effective in helping our EL students to, not only bridge the language gap but, become fluent in both languages.
Scott County Schools will develop multilingual, culturally diverse students who are college and career ready and prepared to enter a global society.
Scott County Schools ELL Program will support students and teachers, maintain high standards and provide an academic experience that ensures an equal opportunity for success and empowers ELs to pursue life goals through language acquisition, academic, and cultural experiences.
- Scott County Schools EL Program will provide instruction to each student in the ELL program in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Scott County Schools EL Program will provide ELs with equal access to content area instruction in order to make progress toward mastery of content standards.
- Scott County Schools EL Program will collaborate effectively with teachers and support staff to ensure academic success.
- Scott County Schools EL Program will provide and promote nurturing classroom environments for all students to communicate and function successfully.
- Scott County Schools EL Program will promote ethnic pride through cultural diversity and sensitivity in order to participate in school and community life.
Royal Spring Middle School, & Scott County Middle School, Great Crossing High School, Elkhorn Crossing, Creekside Elementary School