Algebra Course Syllabus 2016-17
Teacher Contact Information
Phone: 502-863-4635 ext 4621
Plan time: 10:40-11:30 (third hour)
Remind 101: To receive class updates text @kdk9g to 81010
1. Be proactive.
2. Be positive.
3. Be engaged.
Electronic devices should be turned off and out of sight unless we are using them during class for educational purposes. First offense will be a warning. Second offense will result in the device being taken and kept until the end of class. Further offenses could result in the device being taken and turned in to the office. At that point, parents will need to come to school to get the device.
Scientific calculator—preferably TI model # TI-30XIIS
Loose leaf paper (college or wide ruled)
1-inch 3 ring binder
Highlighter (any color)
Hand held pencil sharpener (optional)
Grades will be based on the following:
Bellringers/Warm-ups (5-10 points daily)
Most days at the start of class there will be a bellringer/warm-up students need to complete. Students should be in their seats working on the activity by the time the bell rings.
Quizzes (10-20 points)
These will occur weekly and will be based on classwork and homework we have worked on during the week.
Exit Slips (2-5 points)
These will occur at the end of most class periods and will be based on concepts discussed on that particular day.
Classwork (10-25 points)
Classwork grades will be given at various times and will consist of practice problems, interactive notebook pages, guided notes, or group/partner work.
Homework (5 points)
Homework will typically be assigned on a daily basis and will be checked for effort and completion. You must complete EVERY problem and SHOW YOUR WORK in order to receive credit. For problems you might be struggling with, appropriate questions may be written to demonstrate you made an attempt to answer the problem.
Exams (100 points)
Throughout each unit, there will be an exam following a major concept. Each exam will assess knowledge over recent concepts we have studied in class. The format will vary between multiple choice, short answer, and open response questions. There will be a mid-term and final given at the end of each semester. The mid-term and final will be cumulative and will be worth more points than a unit test.
Students are responsible for all assignments, class work, notes, etc they miss when they are absent. Students have as many days as they missed to turn in assignments. It is the student’s responsibility to contact Ms. Colvin to make up any quizzes or tests or to turn in any missed assignments. Exit slips are not required to be made up and will be entered as exempt in Infinite Campus. Please check the calendar for missed assignments as well as the absent bin for handouts.
1. Upon entering the classroom students should go directly to their seat and begin work on the bellringer activity. Learning target for the day should be written down at this time as well. (Homework will be checked during this time.)
2. Homework review. Students are required to check and correct their answers to homework. This is also the time for students to ask questions about concepts they are having trouble with.
3. Algebra lesson-Students are required to answer questions and take notes on the activity for the day in their notebooks. Students must also be prepared to share answers and participate in class discussions.
4. Exit Slip—At the end of most classes an exit slip will be given for students to demonstrate their understanding. (Homework, if applicable, should be written down at this time.)
5. Dismissal-Students will be dismissed by the teacher. Do not leave your seat until you have been dismissed.
Parents, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. The best way to contact me is by email but you may call and leave a voicemail message if you choose. Thanks so much!