English as a Second Language Program
English as a Second Language (ESL) is a program offered to students who are not proficient in English as determined by a language screener and initial language assessment. Our English Language Learners (ELLs) come from many cultures and countries.
Scott County Schools will develop multilingual, culturally diverse students who are college and career ready and prepared to enter a global society.
Scott County Schools ESL Program will support students and teachers, maintain high standards and provide an academic experience that ensures ELL students an equal opportunity for success and empowers them to pursue life goals through language acquisition, academic and cultural experiences.
- Scott County Schools ESL Program will provide instruction to each student in the ESL program in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Scott County Schools ESL Program will provide ESL students with equal access to content area instruction in order to make progress toward subject and grade level proficiency.
- Scott County Schools ESL Program will collaborate effectively with teachers and support staff to ensure academic success.
- Scott County Schools ESL Program will provide nurturing classroom environments for all students to communicate and function successfully.
- Scott County Schools ESL Program will promote ethnic pride through cultural diversity and sensitivity in order to participate in school and community life.
Leah McCombs, Coordinator